Wednesday, March 14, 2012

If you want something to sing while de-cluttering

If you want something to sing while de-cluttering, I've got the perfect thing. I wrote these lyrics myself to try to encapsulate some of the difficulties that are dealt with while trying to make decisions about what to discard and what to keep.


“Let It Go, Let It Go, Let It Go”

(sung to “Let it Snow, Let It Snow, Let, It Snow”)


Well the piles inside are frightful

Acquiring was so delightful

No place for the chi to flow

Let it go, let it go, let it go


I’ve squirreled away so much it’s scary

Now I want a home that’s airy

I’ll have to train myself to throw

Let it go, let it go, let it go.


Bridge:

When I’ve finally gotten rid

Of the things kept since I was a kid

There is plenty of open space

Room if I wanted to pace


Emotional attachment is clinging

But I’ve set myself to flinging

There’s someone who needs it mo’

Let it go, let it go, let it go.


My memory’s not eternal

So I wrote it in my journal

My keepsake pile is dropping low

Let it go, let it go, let it go


Bridge:

I’m afraid I have been obtuse

I thought someday this might find a use

Embarrassing, it appears

That was thought twenty-some years!


There’s stuff I’d thought I’d try repairing

There’s so much, I’m despairing

It’d stretch out in a mile-long row

Let it go, let it go, let it go.


I’ve finally stopped delaying

I’ll stand no more “some-day-ing”

Stop shifting stuff to and fro

Let it go, let it go, let it go.


Bridge:

There are projects I just might do

Talents in me I just might pursue.

Just because I give this away

Won’t mean I’m blocked from essay


These knickknacks sure were pretty

Before they broke and got dirty

There’s just too many to show

Let ‘em go, let ‘em go, let ‘em go.


Bridge:

When I toss a gift from a friend

I’m afraid that they’ll note and contend

But it’s not like it’s theirs, it’s mine

If they’re kind, they won’t malign


Well, the heirlooms that I inherit,

Unused, they lose their merit

Antiques they are, but even so

Let ‘em go, let ‘em go, let ‘em go.


Bridge:

When I come to what I collect

I must pause for a sec’ to reflect,

“Discarding it all’s a beast;

I’ll part with what I like least!”


We’ve finally cut the clutter

And put it out by the gutter

If it happens again I’ll know

Let it go, let it go, let it go!

No comments: