Thursday, June 30, 2011

Carol for decluttering your house

I wrote this a few years ago and it is time to post it for all to enjoy. It is sung to the tune of the Christmas Song "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow."

“Let It Go, Let It Go, Let It Go”

Well the piles inside are frightful
Acquiring was so delightful
No place for the chi to flow
Let it go, let it go, let it go

I’ve squirreled away so much it’s scary
Now I want a home that’s airy
I’ll have to train myself to throw
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

Bridge:
When I’ve finally gotten rid
Of the things kept since I was a kid
There is plenty of open space
Room if I wanted to pace

Emotional attachment is clinging
But I’ve set myself to flinging
There someone who needs it mo’
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

My memory’s not eternal
So I wrote it in my journal
My keepsake pile is dropping low
Let it go, let it go, let it go

Bridge:
I’m afraid I have been obtuse
I thought someday this might find a use
Embarrassing, it appears
That was thought twenty-some years!

There’s stuff I’d thought I’d try repairing
There’s so much, I’m despairing
It’d stretch out in a mile-long row
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

I’ve finally stopped delaying
I’ll stand no more “some-day-ing”
Stop shifting stuff to and fro
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

Bridge:
There are projects I just might do
Talents in me I just might pursue.
Just because I give this away
Won’t mean I’m blocked from essay

These knickknacks sure were pretty
Before they broke and got dirty
There’s just too many to show
Let ‘em go, let ‘em go, let ‘em go.

Bridge:
When I toss a gift from a friend
I’m afraid that they’ll note and contend
But it’s not like it’s theirs, it’s mine
If they’re kind, they won’t malign

Well, the heirlooms that I inherit,
Unused, they lose their merit
Antiques they are, but even so
Let ‘em go, let ‘em go, let ‘em go.

Bridge:
When I come to what I collect
I must pause for a sec’ to reflect,
“Discarding it all’s a beast;
I’ll part with what I like least!”

We’ve finally cut the clutter
And put it out by the gutter
If it happens again I’ll know
Let it go, let it go, let it go!

No comments: