Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What kind of steward am I?

If you are just learning about the principle of stewardship in order to try to improve, it is helpful to ask yourself the following questions that may help you pinpoint where you need to focus your efforts.


What kind of steward am I?

  1. Am I in a hurry to get what I want?
  2. Am I extravagant?
  3. Do I waste?
  4. Do I try to ignore what’s wrong?
  5. Do I put off fixing things?
  6. Am I ignorant of how to take care of anything I own?
  7. Do I have lots of things in storage? Can I remember what exactly I am storing?
  8. Do I have a hard time letting go?

If you are in a hurry to get what you want, then you will know that you need to focus your efforts on improving impulse control and purchasing according to plan.

If you are extravagant, then you will know that you need to focus on identifying your spending priorities. If you know what is most important to you, then you will gain reasons to save in areas that are less important to you. Just remember, if EVERYTHING is important, then NOTHING is.

If you waste, then you will know that you need to focus on finding ways to plan your usage better so that things get used up. There are two ways to do this. You can find ways for yourself to use things, or you can give to others so they can use it up.

If you know that you try to ignore what's wrong, it helps to look at things as if you had a guest coming to visit in order to try to see things as an outsider would. Then, in order to not get overwhelmed, it helps to make a list of issues that need attention and put them in order of priority.

If you put off fixing things, realize that when too many expensive issues pile up, it makes it very expensive to take care of them all at once. This is why it is preferable to deal with breakage when it happens, rather than putting off fixing it. If you have already put off fixing things, it may be easiest to let things go rather than fix them. Or, you can make a list of problems, prioritize them, and start working through them starting from the highest priority.

If you are ignorant of how to take care of your things, seek out training and information.

If you have lots of things in storage and you don't know what you have, you'll know that you need to work on labeling and listing, if only for insurance reasons.

No comments: